Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Art of Lying

I have been hearing so many different "excuses" come out of my kids mouths lately... such a plethora of reasons why they did (or did not do) this or that, that it seems to me that they think they have it down to an art form.  Hell... maybe they do. After all, I have to admit... I don't catch alot of these not so truthful statements until days later, when they slip up and say something to incriminate themselves. And by then... there's really not a whole lot I can do, besides go on a rant, and then force myself to move forward, knowing they only just heard half of what I've said.

It's kinda like a dog ripping apart a pillow on Monday. If you don't find said pillow until Saturday, well... by then, the damn dog #1) forgot about doing it, and #2)pretty much got away with it.

It seems to be a completely barren effort to try to get them to see the error of their ways after so much time has passed.

I am not the naive momma that thinks her kids are all perfect little angels... nor do I disillusion myself to think that they tell me the truth even half the time.  I remember what it was like to be a teenager. But I also learned pretty quickly that the more honest I was with my parents, the easier it was to get along with them, and keep my privileges. I'm just wondering when (and/or if) my kids are ever going to catch on to that little tidbit of wisdom.

I also will not deny that I may be a bit of an over protective mother. "No" just automatically comes out of my mouth most of the time, before I can even think about it.  I know I need to let them live a little... a bit of the "Let Go and Let God" theory... but I love them too much to not care about what they're doing, where they are, and/or who they're with.  I will always worry.  That's just part of being a parent. But I realize I need to give them a bit more leash, and they need to learn when not to pull too hard.

It would be easier for me, I think, if they could show some honesty. If they would fess up to their mistakes and take their lumps, instead of hiding things from me, and then lie right to my face about it.  The trust goes away immediately, and it takes me awhile to give it back to them.

But, sometimes it really sucks when the reasoning/excuse they come up with for some of their schmidt is so friggin funny, that I have to just walk away and give myself a minute to collect my composure, so I don't let them see me laughing my ass off.  Creative little shits.

What sucks even more is when they make a valid point, put me in my place, and I have to admit my mistake and apologize.  How the Hell did you guys get so stinkin' smart?

I realize it is an artform in it's own right. Lying.  I just wish sometimes that I didn't have four little Picasso's in my house.

Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment