Good Lord. It's only Tuesday and I'm already wishing it was Friday afternoon. Gonna be a long week.
I have been very productive the past few days at work, but at home... um, not so much. The hubby brought out a 2000 piece puzzle on Sunday, and I cannot seem to pull myself away from it, once I get started. I keep telling myself "walk away, Jess... there's so much you need to do." Then, before I know it, it's 930 at night, the kids need to go to bed, no chores or homework have been done, and my house is a disaster. Really?! Wow. Did I miss something? Why do the chores stop when mom isn't looking? Are we really going to resort back to that? I should not have to ride my kids butt's, telling them what to do every minute! OH wait... hello pot, my name is kettle...
Good Lord. My mood sucks.
I know that my kids won't remember the clean house everyday. They will remember the fun times they had with me and dad, and with each other. But I also believe that they have to have structure, and chores, to help them to be good, productive adults. Also, one day that is missed on these chores causes that much more work the next day, not just for me, but for everyone. I know I am a bit OCD when it comes to my house... but I like my home to be in a certain order. Things just go SO much smoother that way. Things can be found, jeans and shirts are clean for school the next day, dishes are clean for meals, and my sanity stays intact. I don't get those damned phone calls during the work day from the three different schools my children attend, asking me where my child's homework is, or why they didn't complete a project as requested. The structure also helps with the everyday morning routine, so there is less "MMMOOOMMM!!!! Where's my blue shirt?!?!" or " MMMOOOOMMMM!!! Where are my favorite pants?!?!?" or my favorite... "MMMOOOMMM!!!! Where did you put my homework!?!?!" Really?! YOUR stuff, and I'm supposed to know? Hmmm...
Sometimes, though, I know I can be a raving bitch, and need to learn to calm down. The dishes aren't going anywhere... they'll be there tomorrow to clean. The laundry will NOT be going away (though in many of my dreams, it does). There will always be more to do. But, my theory is this... if you cannot do a simple task that I ask you to do,(your chore/cleaning up after yourself) then I feel that perhaps I should not be expected to do anything for you. No, you may not go to your friends to "hang". No, you may not have that sleepover. No, you may not have $5.00 for the dance on Friday. Why???? Because you didn't do what I asked. Clear cut... understandable... fair.
Yep...I'm in a bad mood. Damn it. Shake it off.
My kids are all getting wonderful grades. Their teachers do not have to call me constantly asking about homework, or about discipline issues. For the most part... they are FANTASTIC kids. They are teenagers, they are going to push my buttons from time to time, and they are going to slack on chores. And of course, the baby in the family (although she is almost 11 years old), will always play up the baby role, and play on mommy's heartstrings for forgiveness and leniency. (90% of the time, it works too, damn it. :))
They do not sneak out of the house. They are not on drugs. They don't have boyfriends, or girlfriends, that I feel I need to be TOO concerned about. Yet, I still find myself being pretty hard on them. Is it just sucky having to be the "heavy" or am I being overbearing? Good to get this out... now I know what to work on, in me.
Sorry for the rant. Hopefully my mood will be better adjusted tomorrow. Blessed Be.
No comments:
Post a Comment