Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The problem with quotations...

Each day, I try to find a reflective quote that I can read from time to time throughout the day to keep my spirits and motivation up.  Today, I thought I would choose one about marriage, and was rather disheartened by what I found, or didn't find, for that matter.  It seemed that most of the quotes were about the problems with marriage.  Jokes about how the passion dies when people get married.  Sayings that describe a sense of woe or loss with the idea of their significant other.  I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a positive thought when it came to this subject matter. Then, I started thinking about how blessed I must be, having so much love and respect in my own. 

How lucky I really feel, to have such an amazing man as my husband, and such a wonderfully open, honest relationship. To have a man that backs me when I need him to... that tells me I am strong when I need to hear it, and that I am being a jackhole when I don't want to hear it.  And I can do the same for him, knowing he will not hold it against me... but instead love me all the more for keeping these lines of communication open and truthful. Yes, we have our days, we have our hardships, we have our differences.  But these things do not, for one second, make me second guess my love, honor, and devotion for my husband and our marriage. Instead, I view the hard times as the cement that really holds us together. If we don't crack under the pressure, then our foundation is good.  I feel that ours is resolute. And I thank God every day for that.

One of the few quotes I found today that gave me optimism?

Marriage resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated; often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them.
Sydney Smith

I am reminded as well, to focus on the important and let the rest slide.
Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment